Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Aliquam aut consequatur cumque deleniti, dignissimos doloremque ducimus eaque ex minima officia officiis quibusdam quis saepe similique sit unde voluptas. Fugiat, velit.

review our firm

What Should I Do If I’m Living With Someone Who Has a Violent Past?

WEINER LAWInsightsDivorceWhat Should I Do If I’m Living With Someone Who Has a Violent Past?

Divorce Thursday, July 20, 2017

I am often asked by clients about living with a spouse who has a criminal past. When someone me tells they’re living with someone with a violent history, I’m concerned about domestic violence, abuse, and it’s a sensitive area. In the divorce world, there is no correlation to why a judge says, you’re a victim of domestic violence. When that happen you will get more in the alimony.

You may make an action and look for a civil remedy to try get money. As far as the statute for alimony, you’re not using one of the factors to say well you suffered at the hands of this. So therefore you should get more alimony, because it’s a no-fault state.

The first thing that I say to someone who is living with, someone who is abusive, is try to get that person protection. The person may have to go file a temporary restraining order, and make sure they can show the evidence to do that.

As far as the divorce process goes, you want to stop the abuse as soon as possible. You have to separate the abuser from the individual who is being abused, and then go back to the divorce process.

Are you or a loved one living with an abuser? Contact one our experienced Divorce Attorneys in Morris County for advice.

This educational blog was brought to you by Christopher Leon Garibian, an experienced Divorce Attorney in New Jersey.